Fire

Acadian Ambulance medic Lyla Trahan, left, and Eunice Police Detective Robert Brickley attempt to revive Lil’ Dude rescued from a fire on South Aymond Street Tuesday. The dog died, but had the full attention of his rescue team, which also included medic Matthew Lege and Eunice Police Officer Buddy Dupre. The fire is being investigated as an burglary-arson event. (Photo by Harlan Kirgan)

Acadian Ambulance medic Matthew Lege carries a dog out of a house fire at 141 S. Aymond St., Eunice, on Tuesday afternoon. Medics and police attempted to revive the dog, which was still alive when pulled from the smoky house. (Photo by Harlan Kirgan)

Firefighters replenish their air packs as they combat a fire at 141 South Aymond Tuesday afternoon. The fire is being investigated as a burglary turned arson event. (Photo by Harlan Kirgan)

Arson, burglary discovered

A house fire at 141 South Aymond is being investigated as a burglary turned into an arson, according to Brandt Thompson, state Fire Marshal deputy chief.
The fire was reported at 1:39 p.m. Tuesday and by 3:59 Fire Chief Mike Arnold was contacted that it was possible arson and burglary.
There was no one home at the time fire.
The house was occupied by Richard “Keith” Deaville, his wife, Carlene, and daughter, Courtney.

Chilly temperatures pose increased risk of fire

While this is the time of year when Louisianans begin to receive a much-welcomed reprieve from the steamy, suffocating heat and humidity of summer, cooler temperatures also bring an increased risk of fires from improperly managed heating sources.
 “As a state that has its share of prolonged warm weather,” says State Fire Marshal H. “Butch” Browning, Jr., “cooler temperatures have finally arrived, meaning that many will begin using heating devices, such as space heaters, which inherently leads to a greater chance of fires.”

The front of the David Haas Memorial Methodist Church Sunday night. (Photos by Garland Forman, Bunkie Record)

The interior of the David Haas Memorial Methodist Church on Monday morning.

Fire destroys historic Bunkie church

 Bystanders stood in the autumn cold and shook their heads in disbelief as they watched firefighters battle the flames consuming David Haas Memorial Methodist Church Sunday night.
    The church, located on Church Street in Bunkie, was fully engulfed in flames as fire departments from Avoyelles and Rapides parishes arrived to try to save the building and protect other structures.
    The current church building opened in 1952 and is one of the most photographed buildings in Bunkie.

Eunice Today

465 Aymond St.
Eunice, LA 70535
Phone: 337-457-3061
Fax: 337-457-3122