State Fire Marshal

State Fire Marshal urges vigilance following spike in fire-related deaths

Because the state is experiencing a recent surge in fire-related deaths, several due to the arrival of markedly lower temperatures, the State Fire Marshal’s Office is encouraging citizens to remain vigilant when using space heaters and other heating sources, while maintaining working smoke alarms in their homes.
Since December State Fire Marshal investigators have responded to over six residential structure fires that resulted in over 10 deaths, six of which have occurred in East Baton Rouge Parish since Jan. 1.

1 dead in Ville Platte house fire

State Fire Marshal investigators are looking into whether unattended cooking may have led to a house fire where a man’s body was recovered late Tuesday night.
Investigators were dispatched to 1314 Dr. Martin Luther King Drive, in Ville Platte, after fire crews responded to a report of a residential structure fire just after 10 p.m. Tuesday. While conducting suppression efforts, firefighters discovered the body of 55-year-old Jessie Bias in the living room of the wood-framed structure, which suffered heavy interior damage as a result of the fire.

Chilly temperatures pose increased risk of fire

While this is the time of year when Louisianans begin to receive a much-welcomed reprieve from the steamy, suffocating heat and humidity of summer, cooler temperatures also bring an increased risk of fires from improperly managed heating sources.
 “As a state that has its share of prolonged warm weather,” says State Fire Marshal H. “Butch” Browning, Jr., “cooler temperatures have finally arrived, meaning that many will begin using heating devices, such as space heaters, which inherently leads to a greater chance of fires.”

The front of the David Haas Memorial Methodist Church Sunday night. (Photos by Garland Forman, Bunkie Record)

The interior of the David Haas Memorial Methodist Church on Monday morning.

Fire destroys historic Bunkie church

 Bystanders stood in the autumn cold and shook their heads in disbelief as they watched firefighters battle the flames consuming David Haas Memorial Methodist Church Sunday night.
    The church, located on Church Street in Bunkie, was fully engulfed in flames as fire departments from Avoyelles and Rapides parishes arrived to try to save the building and protect other structures.
    The current church building opened in 1952 and is one of the most photographed buildings in Bunkie.

Eunice Today

465 Aymond St.
Eunice, LA 70535
Phone: 337-457-3061
Fax: 337-457-3122